Tuesday 20 November 2012

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson

I used to read quite a lot of personal development books and I believe I am where I am now (doing ok in the pharma industry) in part because of the lessons I’ve learned from them. Books like “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” and “How to Make Friends and Influence People” all contain reminders of how we should act and might have forgotten or not place enough importance on such behaviors or, occasionally, teach us new behaviors. Like many other “Don’t Sweat………”takes the format of very short chapters (a couple of pages) or one could almost call them lessons. There are many useful things in there to remind how we should act when faced with irritation or adversity (what is this person / event trying to teach me?) and I do think that is one of the keys of a contented life. I think in Buddhist teaching it is known as “mindfulness” where you are not upset by each issue that crops up every day and that you can put it into perspective of the big wide world and your whole life. It may seem like a raw deal today but ask yourself ……………… in a year’s time ……………… how much will it really matter? Now to practice living that philosophy even more than I already did and truly master it. I think life will be even better and I’ll be even more fun to share it with 

No comments:

Post a Comment