Monday 16 April 2012

Thursday April 12th





Two big things happend on this day:-

Firstly: I was part of a three man team organising a conference at Leeds University and today was the day. Eleven very bright PhD students gave 20 minute presentations on their work. It was run by the Fine Chemicals Group of the Society of Chemistry in Industry, of which I'm a committee member. My company kindly sponsored some of the prizes.

I had to be at my sharpest to ask intelligent questions (!) and at the end of the day I had to sum up the afternoon. Then the three of us organisers got into a huddle and decided on the prizes, which I then announced and presented over the wine reception. Honestly, it was like being a judge on the X-factor but of course we were nice to everybody. Pictures show me awarding the first and second prizes and the whole group of speakers plus organisers.

We all then went our for dinner at a lovely French restaurant in Leeds. I drove three of the "kids" there and as we walked form the car I was talking none stop. It will be ok, it's not far and I know Leeds well. Wrong, at 9 pm, with a two and a half hour drive home I could n't find my wheels. Took me nearly half an hour. Bloody genius me :-(

Secondly: we exchanged contracts on my new house on this day. That was not without its hassels as there was a minor last minute issue that I struggled to sort out using just my iPhone in an area with poor reception. But it is done. On wednesday, I complete!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment