Thursday 7 February 2013

Lee Childs - Jack Reacher - The Killing Floor

Thought it was about time I gave Jack Reacher a try. There’s a bit of hype about the film coming out this year, although why you would get someone as short as Tom Cruise to play somebody who is supposed to be 6 ft 2 I’ll never know!! Kate (and her Dad!) seem to have read them all up to the most current as well so I felt like I was missing out a little. Apparently, the early ones are the best and towards the end of the series the quality drops off as it seems the author is just on a mission to get a novel out every year. I had recently read The Innocent by David Baldacci, in which he introduces John Pullman, a hard man services investigator, arguably a bit of a copy of Reacher, and I liked Pullman quite a lot. So, this novel starts out with an unbelievable coincidence. Reacher just happens to get off a Greyhound bus and walks for miles through the rain to a town where unbeknown to him, his brother was murdered a few days ago. As he eats his breakfast in the diner he is arrested and taken to the nearby prison for the weekend along with the softy banker who seems to be linked somehow. The banker is in fact a central figure in a counterfeiting scheme based on the town and after lots of people are brutally murdered whilst Reacher figures things out he eventually gets to kill all the bad guys, including he who blew away his brov. A decent novel it rolled along quite nicely without ever having me racing back to my Kindle. I liked the writing style and found it all quite enjoyable really, but it would n’t make my top ten. I think I prefer John Pullman to Jack Reacher but I'll read more of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment