Monday 27 February 2012

Japan ....... again!!




I’ve been back! The than ten days after arriving home from a quick blast to India I found myself back in Japan. This time for a company conference, onto which I’d tagged some business meetings beforehand and accepted an invite to an excursion on the Saturday directly afterwards.

About 15 of us from work went to this so I had to break with my normal tradition and getting on the plane and turning left into business class and head right into premium economy …….. and boy, what a difference. Hard to sleep in one of those seats when you are 6ft 2.

The meetings went well. The Japanese were kinder this time than they sometimes are and on top of all that we ate, drank and made merry in the evenings, with or without them. The conference was good. I presented a poster on our work and the lectures were interesting. The jet-lag was as bad as ever. My “silver-lining” that not being able to sleep as much in premium economy might lead to less jet-lag proved to be complete rubbish :-(

On the Saturday we went to the ancient town of Kamakura (see pictures) an interesting old place with some great shines and temples. At our lunch stop we got a great view of Mt Fuji (still need to climb it one day!) enjoyed Suba noodles, a narrow-gauge railway and some shopping.

I seem to come home with Saki, Sho-chu (very strong barley spirit), a saki drinking set and some very Japanese cups for green tea …….. oh, and of course a rather bruised credit card ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment