Friday 30 September 2011

Angels and Demons



A cracking read this one, all 620 pages of it. I'd read a single Dan Brown some years ago, during an ill-fated week's holiday on the Isle of Wight when I spent three days in hospital with a kidney stone. On coming out I collected a copy of Deception Point, which was a good read. Because of its length A&D had stayed in the pile for a while but I got over the intimidation of its size (and it's 620 of relatively small text too!) I enjoyed every page of it. The action very quickly switches to Rome, a wonderful place I have been lucky enough to experience in real life, and spends most of it's time there, within the architectural and religeous treasures. As with the last book I enjoyed this thriller has it roots dipped pretty deeply in science based on the clash between physics and religion and the fictious (?) battle between the two. The Illuminati, a cult of scientists leading the battle against the church, through their "Hassassin" kidnap and murder four of the preferati (preferred candidates) for the vacant papacy.. In the meantime they have planted a single drop of anitimatter within the vatican and the machine stabilising it will run out of energy at midnight. Robert Langdon, hero of the Da Vinci code, and eminent academic symbologist uses his puzzle-breaking skills and cracking of the clues to save the day, but there are many unexpected twists along the way. Great characters, a wonderful setting, a fantastic plot and a style of writing that brings every page alive may well make this the best novel I've ever read. I can't believe it scores so average on Amazon. Nowt so queer as folk !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment