Friday 22 April 2011

New life: part 1 - new wheels


Everything seems to change in spring. The weather, people and often our lives. My changes in life, in fact our changes in life (me and the kids) will take three different forms in the near future. Two of them will certainly happen quickly but third could be soon or it might take a while (cryptic, I know!).

Part 1 is the need for a new car. The Discovery has been great but I had been made aware that the brake pads and disks needed changing, an expensive job. Whats more the MOT and tax were due. So when it failed to start and all the usual checks found nothing, the words "it must be in the engine, we'll open her up and take a look" were quickly followed by the reply "thanks but no thanks"!!!!

So, I had a couple of hire cars over a couple of weekends when I needed transport for the kids and then a new car was purchased. Thing to note here is that I don't actually need a car for myself! I thought long and hard about it. The idea of another 4x4 was nice. A great high driving position and no worries about luggage space when we go on vacation or I take Tom and his stuff off to Uni. But decent ones that would last were best part of £10K and I did n't have that (or want to spend it). So, something more sensible? I looked at the Mondeos and the Passats and the Avesis's and they were all lovely but rather "old age". Now I may be a 42 year old father of three kids (for a couple of weeks longer anyway! r.e. the age that is, 43 soon, I'll ot be having anymore kids!!) but I like to feel I still have some life in me. So, I ended up with a lovely Honda Accord. As close to total reliability as one can get, more than 40 mpg and wow, is it frisky (petrol version). I have not enjoyed driving this much in years. On Thursday I had the chance to ride to work and I did, but it was a hard call!

So, to those of you who think that a car is just a way to get from A to B, or if you don't drive, you really are missing out, trust me ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment